16,000 professionals and average income of $1,650: Dnipro city and region IT market review
Dnipro cluster IT Dnipro Community, together with the sociological agency Fama, presented a study of the IT market of Dnipro and the region. They shared the results with AIN.UA.
There are 378 IT companies in Dnipro and the region. Almost 97% of the market accounts for small and medium-sized companies with up to 200 people. Moreover, every third developer works in a large company.
“Every fifth company has offices in other Ukrainian cities, every fourth – abroad.
The distribution by company type is as follows:
- 62.6% – service;
- 20.4% – product;
- 9.2% – start-ups;
- 4.2% – service and product;
- 3.4% – Global In-house Centers.
According to IT Dnipro Community, as of 2019, about 15,000 – 16,000 IT specialists work in Dnipro and the region. Among them, 72.8% are individual entrepreneurs, and 24.6% are full-time employees. Another 2.5% of specialists work in another form of employment.
The share of junior and senior specialists is approximately the same – 24% and 27% respectively. The largest share of middle developers is 45.1%. Another 3% are trainees.
Profile of a specialist
- Most of all in Dnipro and the region there are developers has Specialist or Master degree – 39% and 34%, respectively.
- The most popular educational specialty is “Information Technology”. About 39% of developers completed it.
- The most popular universities are Oles Honchar Dnipro National University (35.7%), Dnipro University of Technology (14.4%) and Dnipro National University of Railway Transport (6.9%).
- Half of the developers work in the industry from 3 to 10 years.
Direct payments by the IT industry increased from 402.3 million UAH in 2016 to 631.2 million in 2018. Indirect taxes – from 550.4 million UAH to 934.1 million UAH.
According to the results of 2018, the turnover of the IT industry of Dnipro and the region amounted to $435- $452 million. According to IT Dnipro Community forecasts, this indicator will increase to $632 million – $1.09 billion in 2025.
The average salary of an IT specialist in Dnipro and the region is $1,650. Revenues are distributed on average as follows:
- Trainee – $425;
- Junior – $627;
- Middle – $1,420;
- Senior – $2,435.
At the same time, project managers averagely earn $1,711, QA – $1,190, and other non-technical specialists – $986. The income of top managers – $2,570.
- The salary is reviewed once every six months or annually.
- Three out of four specialists save about 30% of their monthly salary.
- Every third developer is engaged in additional activities – freelance, development of his own project, teaching, etc.
41% of developers consider moving to another country, 35% – to another Ukrainian city. 24% of specialists think of both options.
41% of junior specialists, 35% middle and 32% of senior developers think about moving to another city in Ukraine. The situation with relocating abroad is slightly different – 36% of junior developers, 45% of middle and 35% of senior are considering moving.
Among the popular Ukrainian destinations, there are Kyiv (70%) and Lviv (28%), foreign – the USA (30%), Germany (25%) and Canada (24%).
There are 11 higher educational institutions and 35 colleges and technical schools which train IT-specialists in Dnipro and the region. The number of students of technical specialties in them is 13,900 people. By the end of the year, about 2250 developers from them will start working.