CEO of Dragon Capital Tomas Fiala buys social and political online media Ukrainska Pravda
Well-known investor Tomas Fiala, CEO of Dragon Capital investment company, buys Ukrainska Pravda (UP), a popular Ukrainian social and political online media. This was reported by the representatives of each company. He also owns the weekly magazine Novoye Vremya, as well as its news website and radio.
- Holding company Ukrainska Pravda includes the same-name online media, as well as several affiliated publications, such as Yevropeiska Pravda, Ekonomichna Pravda and others.
- Olena Prytula is the General Director of the holding company and the owner of UP media. She sold 100% of the corporate rights to Tomas Fiala, but she will continue to work at UP as the whole team. Sevgil Musaeva will remain the editor-in-chief.
- Fiala promised that “he will continue the practice of non-interference by the owner in the editorial policy of the UP, by analogy to the NV project”. The corresponding document will be prepared and published on the website.
- Tomas Fiala has been investing in Ukrainian media for a long time. For example, he is the co-owner of the well-known social and political publication NV, which includes print edition, its online version and radio.
- The NV editorial office will continue to work independently of the UP.
- It was also recently reported that Dragon Capital acquired a controlling stake in Treeum, Ukrainian online financial supermarket that manages business media resources including minfin.com.ua and finance.ua.
About Tomas Fiala
Tomas Fiala was born on May 13, 1974, in Brno, Czech Republic. In 1994, in parallel with his studies at the Prague University of Economics, he began his career as an investment banker at the Bayerische Vereinsbank in Prague. Then he worked in the Prague office of Wood&Company.
In 2000, Fiala founded and led Dragon Capital, an investment company with offices in Ukraine and Cyprus. American financier George Soros is one of Fiala’s investment partners.
In 2014, Fiala founded the weekly magazine Novoye Vremya, as well as its news website and radio.
In 2015, Tomas Fiala’s net worth was calculated at $187.9 million by Focus magazine. He is ranked at the 78th position of the list of the richest people in Ukraine.