Google announces requirements for developers who want to reduce a service fee to 15% on Google Play
As reported by AIN.UA, in early March, Google announced that it would reduce the fee for developers with revenue up to $1 million. The program is due to start July 1, 2021, but Google has only just published the requirements for the developers.
Eligibility and requirements
As Google stated, the company aims to help developers scale their services beyond mobile and across all the form factors that are important to users.
“Through these integrations, we enable new discovery and re-engagement opportunities for developers to accelerate their overall growth on Play and offer a service fee of 15% during the program term, all to help developers deliver premium experiences,” Google said.
But in order to participate in the program and receive a reduced fee of up to 15%, the application must meet the following requirements:
- Primary app offering of premium video, audio, or books content (not user generated)
- Over 100,000 monthly active installs on Google Play
- High quality user experience with strong Google Play rating
- Developer account in good standing
- Integration of specific Google platforms and APIs based on type of media content
Also, additional requirements may apply to the application depending on the type of media content:
- First and foremost, the app should offer living room-first video programs such as movies, TV shows, live sports, and news
- Android TV, Google TV, Cast platforms with cross device playback and sign-in integrations
- Smart recommendations to easily find content, easier sign-up and sign-in, and enhanced discovery
- Premium music and audio content via subscription
- WearOS, Android Auto, AndroidTV, and Google Cast platforms
- Content discovery and continued listening across devices
- Premium books, audiobooks, and comics
- Tablet and foldable optimizations, Entertainment Space. WearOS and Android Auto for audiobooks apps
- Improved reading experience and content discovery and re-engagement throughout Entertainment Space
However, this special program will be available only for developers whose revenue from the app exceeds $1 million. If your app fits all the requirements, you can apply by clicking here.
Why it is important
In November 2020, the developer of Fortnite, Epic Games, circumvented a 30% fee on the App Store and Google Play, and the game was instantly removed from the app stores. This situation once again raised the issue of high fees on these platforms.
Epic Games created an entire coalition against platform owners and exorbitant fees, which was joined by Tinder, Spotify, Deezer, and dozens of smaller developers. As a result, the platform holders had to make concessions and lower the fee. Play Media Experience is the result of this confrontation.