Ukrainian hacker attacks over 100 foreign companies
Cyber Police have detained a 25-year-old hacker who attacked foreign companies and caused damage worth more than $150 million using encryption malware, as reported on the website of the Cyber Police of Ukraine.
Criminal scheme details
- The hacker was identified during an international police operation.
- The hacker was spreading a ransomware that helped him to access the corporations’ equipment by hacking an application for remote user control of a computer (server).
- He also was sending malicious spam emails to corporate addresses.
- The hacker demanded a ransom for restoring access to the encrypted data.
- The hacker had an accomplice who helped to siphon off the stolen money.
The hacker has attacked over 100 foreign companies in North America and Europe. Among them are well-known global travel companies, as well as technology developers, the Cyber Police said. The amount of losses is equal to $150 million.
The police conducted searches at the homes of the hacker and his accomplices and, as a result, seized computer equipment, mobile phones, vehicles, and more than $360,000 in cash. In addition, $1.3 million was blocked on the hacker’s cryptocurrency portfolios.
The Cyber Police have started criminal proceedings under Part 2 of Art. 361 (Unauthorized Interference in the Operation of Computers, Automated Systems, Computer Networks or Telecommunication Networks), Part 3 of Art. 209 (Legalization (laundering) of criminally obtained property) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine.
The detainee may spend up to 12 years in jail with confiscation of property. The investigation continues.