Lviv’s IT industry research: 511 tech companies and over 30k IT professionals
Lviv IT Cluster has published the results of the IT.Research 6.0 survey on the IT sector in Lviv. AIN.UA‘s editor has selected the most interesting figures on how companies’ income has changed, how many jobs the industry has created in the city, and how it is affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
How the structure of the tech industry has changed
- Since 2015, the number of companies in Lviv has constantly been growing — over the past six years, their number increased by 328. Today 511 IT companies are operating in Lviv.
- About half of them employ more than 250 employees.
- During the last six years, the number of IT professionals has grown from 13,000 to 30,000.
- The average age of Lviv’s IT specialists is about 29 years.
- The share of technical specialists is 76%, non-technical — 24%.
- Among respondents, 92% are from Lviv, and 48% have moved from other regions or countries.
- In the past six years, the median monthly salary of tech professionals in Lviv has increased from $1,500 to $2,102. About 80% of respondents said their income is now higher compared to 2020.
The main economic indicators
- The survey results show that the share of the IT industry in Lviv’s gross domestic product (GRP) was 20% over the last six years.
- The IT industry turnover is growing every year: from $280 million in 2015 to $895 million in 2020.
- The overall economic impact has doubled in the last five years, from $734 million in 2015 to $1.4 billion in 2020.
- The IT industry has created 73,000 jobs, and each IT professional generates about three more jobs.
- The total tax revenue from the IT industry in Lviv from 2015 to 2020 was over 2 billion UAH.
- The single tax revenue from the IT industry represented 38% of the total Lviv tax revenue in 2020.
How COVID-19 affects Lviv’s IT industry
- Among the respondents, 63% of companies are positive about engaging new employees and customers in 2020.
- The survey shows the following attitude towards vaccination: 76% of the surveyed have a positive attitude toward COVID-19 vaccination, only 5% — against the vaccination, and 67% of respondents have been fully vaccinated. The most popular vaccine among the respondents is CoronaVac (33%), in second place is Covishield / AstraZeneca (26%), and third is Pfizer (23%).
- Forty-seven percent of those surveyed had been exposed to COVID-19.
- Thirty-seven percent of the respondents plan to return to work completely from the office.
There are 70 companies in Ivano-Frankivsk that employ over 2,600 people
- Half of Ivano-Frankivsk’s tech professionals work for companies that have offices in Lviv.
- The median salary in Ivano-Frankivsk is $1,339.
- Twenty-eight percent of specialists are young people who have been working in the industry for about a year.
- A quarter of the respondents have been working in the IT industry for 1-3 years.
- And another quarter have been working for 3-6 years.