CERT-UA: Cyber-attacks on banks and government websites may take place on February 22
21 February, 2022, 16:26
On February 22, 2022, new cyber-attacks on the websites of Ukrainian government agencies and banks may take place, the Computer Emergency Response Team of Ukraine (CERT-UA) reports.
- The agency informs about the threat, referring to messages on the hacker forum Raidforums.
- The conversation at that link has already been deleted. But previously, there was a chat about ordering a few servers to launch attacks on Ukraine’s government and bank websites.
- The unidentified author informed about his plans to deface “any domain that ends with .ua” for at least one week. Web defacement is an attack that disables or modifies content on a website.
- It is not the first attack. Many Ukrainian government websites fell offline at night on January 14, 2022. There were 70 affected sites, including the Ministry of Digital Transformation, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Regional Development, the portal Diia, and others.
- A month later, in February 2022, some government websites, as well as websites of Ukrainian banks, were down for several hours due to a DDoS attack.