Revolut is now available to Ukrainians in the EU
14 March, 2022, 14:42
Revolut, a British financial technology company, has opened access to its payment services for Ukrainian refugees forced to flee to the EU due to the war, the official statement informs.
- At the same time, the company has simplified some of the requirements for creating an account. In particular, opening an e-money account in the EU usually requires proof of residence in Europe. Ukrainians who have been forced to emigrate do not need to provide any confirmation.
- Once the user creates an account, they will also be able to access their funds by linking their Revolut account to their Ukrainian bank account. In addition, the company canceled the currency exchange and deposit fees.
- Friends and relatives who already in Europe will also be able to transfer money to accounts from Revolut quickly and securely.
“This is very important for citizens who have been forced to emigrate. With the Revolut mobile application, you get a virtual bank card, which is easy to use anywhere in the world. You can pay with the country’s local currency or withdraw the necessary amount of cash. That is very convenient because of the low-interest rates for currency conversion,” Minister of Digital Transformation in Ukraine Mykhailo Fedorov comments on the statement.
To create a Revolut account you’ll need to:
- Download the Revolut app on App Store or Google Play.
- Tap ‘Sign up’ and enter the phone number you’re currently using. It can be any phone number, including your Ukrainian phone number, as long as you can receive text messages to it
- Select the country you’re currently in as your country of residence, e.g. Poland or Slovakia
- Provide your current address outside Ukraine, e.g. address of the shelter, and fill out your personal info
- Confirm your identity by selecting and uploading your Ukrainian passport* or identity card, as these are the documents that allow Ukrainian refugees to open an account
- If you’re of another nationality coming from Ukraine, you’ll need to follow the same steps and upload your passport as well as your Ukrainian visa.
Important to note that the service is still unavailable in Ukraine.