War in Ukraine / March 26
The Molfar team sends a daily newsletter about the war in Ukraine. The editorial staff of AIN.Capital publishes the full version of the digest. You can subscribe to the newsletter by sending your email address to [email protected], you will be added to the base.
Kharkiv needs to be rebuilt from scratch
The Ukrainian Truth media conducted an extensive interview with the Mayor of Kharkiv – Ihor Terekhov. He compared the level of destruction of Kharkiv with the massive shelling of Mariupol. He said that people may think that the situation in Kharkiv has calmed down. But Terekhov explains the real facts: Russia continues to shell the city without stopping, explosions are heard even during the conversation with the journalist.
The city’s losses are catastrophic. According to Terekhov, 1,100 buildings have been destroyed or damaged in such a way that they cannot be restored: “Half of the buildings are still standing, but the other half destroyed and can’t be repaired.” In addition, the enemy is actively shelling important infrastructure – gas pipelines, power plants and public institutions. He says “Kharkiv needs to be rebuilt from scratch”.
There is a political opinion that the situation in Kharkiv is Vladimir Putin’s personal revenge for the events of 2014. Eight years ago, in the Kharkiv region, the occupiers failed to overthrow the government and to hold an illegal referendum, as unfortunately happened in Luhansk and Donetsk.
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- Shelling of the Shepetivka-Kyiv train, one person was injured.
- On March 23, the mayor of the city was offered to surrender the city voluntarily, after that the Russian troops occupied the territory and fired at the citizens who had gone to a peaceful rally. They also threw stun grenades into the crowd. The mayor of the city was kidnapped, however, he was returned. The city hospital was captured. Members of civil defense were injured. A residential area was shelled by Russian soldiers when they were entering the city.
- As a result of shelling, 5 houses were destroyed. People were killed, the number is not disclosed.
- Shelling of the residential sector. 4 people were injured, one of whom is a child.
- Use of cluster bombs in the residential sector. Detonation of bombs can occur within 40 hours after shelling. 4 people are injured.
- During the day, Russian troops shelled the villages and cities of the Donetsk region: Mariupol, Marinka (2 people were injured, 1 killed), New York, Velyka Novosilka, Novoluhanske. As a result, 35 civilian facilities were damaged (a residential building, utility rooms, a grain warehouse, a garage).
- There are 4 military and a civilian among the dead. Shelling of the lyceum and the cemetery.
- Shelling of the auditoriums and the roof of the Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs.
- As a result of the shelling by Russian troops, the memorial to the victims of the Holocaust “Drobytsky Yar”, which is located at the site of the execution of ~20k Jews by the Nazis in 1941-42, was damaged.
- Rocket attack on the oil terminal, as a result, it was completely destroyed. The passenger train traffic was disrupted.
- 4 missiles were fired from the territory of Belarus, 3 were shot down by air defense 10 km from Lutsk.
- Rocket attack on the armor vehicle factory and the oil terminal. After the first attacks, further attacks were hit on the same locations. Windows were broken in the school and kindergarten. In total, 6 missiles were fired from the occupied Sevastopol. 5 people were injured, fire fighting continued until the morning.
- The fire of a private house, also, the mine, where workers were underground, was de-energized.
- [Religion] A draft law that prohibits the activities of religious groups on the territory of Ukraine, that have representative offices abroad and support Russian aggression, was submitted.