War in Ukraine / April 4
“Victory is to return to the situation on February 23”
Volodymyr Zelensky, who until recently preferred to communicate with foreign journalists, gave a long interview to the Ukrainian media for the first time.
According to Zelensky, the number one goal now is to save Ukraine’s independence. Whereas the victory is to retreat to the borders that Ukraine controlled on February 23. Russia is trying to capture as many new territories as possible, but the Ukrainian army is trying to prevent this and will fight to the last.
At the same time, Zelensky noted that the issues of the temporarily occupied Donetsk and Luhansk regions, as well as the Crimea – is not easy. These are definitely Ukrainian territories, but the question of them is not easy. In Crimea, Zelensky is talking about diplomatic talks and postponing the issue, and in ORDLO, he is trying to return to the border on February 23.
He also said that there may be great losses: the president estimates them at 50,000 soldiers, which Ukraine may lose. However, it will not necessarily be able to stop the enemy, who “will return in a month with new forces.”
In the end, Zelensky said that his decision may not be perfect, but in the current situation – the position is as follows.
Large pharmaceutical companies have announced that they will remain on the Russian market, but with restrictions: they will sell only vital drugs. According to the investigation, this is a cheat. The farm remains in russia and sells all available drugs in its portfolio. Market research shows that there are substitutes, and the drugs presented by companies are not unique. But at stake is a market of 2 trillion rubles ($ 25 + billion), which these companies do not want to lose.
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- Shelling of the village area, phosphorus bombs were used.
- The woman found a mine in her area, picked it up and died from the explosion.
- The temple of Luka Krymsky was shelled, 2 priests were wounded.
- 4 people were injured, including one child.
- At the Phenolic Plant, seven hits were recorded. Three distillation columns, three collectors of marketable products, interfloor ceilings of the oil distillation facility, material pipelines, a tank car, and metal structures were damaged.
- Residential buildings, cars and agricultural machinery were damaged, as a result of shelling
- Residential buildings were damaged and destroyed, as a result of the shelling, 5 people were injured.
- Ecopark “Feldman” was destroyed. During the day, 3 people were injured by shelling. During the day, 54 strikes were inflicted on Kharkiv and its environs.
- The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and buildings on the territory of the temple were damaged, as a result of shelling
- Residential buildings are shelled from MLR systems.
- There were wounded and killed, as a result of cluster shelling of a children hospital, one child was dead. Also, the bus stop and shopping malls with civilians were shelled. The projectile hit the hospital. A total of 61 were wounded and 11 were dead.
- Several missile strikes, non-residential buildings were damaged.
- [Martial law] In the Cherkasy region, from April 4, a ban on the entry of civilian ships to water bodies is introduced. Fishing has also been restricted in the region.
- [War] Amendments to the law on ordering issues related to prisoners of war in the special period have come into force.
- [Criminal law] Draft Law on Amendments to the Criminal Code of Ukraine on Prohibition of Symbols of Propaganda of Russia’s Military Aggression against Ukraine and Clarification of Certain Issues of Criminal Liability for Violation of Laws and Customs of War.
- [War] Draft Decree on the Genocide of the Ukrainian Nation by the Russian Federation.
- [Support for the economy] Draft Law on Amendments to the Tax Code of Ukraine on the peculiarities of determining the rent for natural gas production for the period of martial law, state of emergency.
- [Response to the sanctions] Amendments on criminal liability for the implementation of foreign sanctions on the territory of Russia will be submitted to the State Duma on April 4
- [Response to the sanctions] Putin signed a decree on retaliatory visa measures for citizens from “unfriendly countries” along with Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Iceland and Liechtenstein. In addition, individual entry restrictions on citizens and legal entities of these countries, who commit hostile acts against Russia, were imposed.
- [War] Investigative Committee of Russia opened a criminal case due to the spread of “fakes” about the massacre in Bucha, after which the Russian Foreign Ministry demanded that the UN Security Council be convened on this event, but they were rejected.
Alternative loss estimates
Deputy Prime Minister for the Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine, Irina Vereshchuk, said that ~600 Russian military personnel are in captivity in Ukraine.