Popularity of Ukrainian on Duolingo increased by 577%
08 April, 2022, 14:30
The number of people studying Ukrainian through Duolingo has increased by 577%.
- These are figures as of March 20, 2022, almost a month after the start of the full-scale invasion.
- The majority of users studying the Ukrainian language are from the United States.
- The figures peaked on February 28 and remain stable up to now.
- The number of people in Poland who learn Ukrainian has increased by 2,677% since the beginning of the war. Poland may catch up with the US in the number of people studying the language by the end of March.
- Duolingo also said that the ad revenue from people learning Ukrainian would go to Ukraine relief efforts. The company also plans to make the English language test for Ukrainians free of charge.
- Duolingo turned off monetization in Russia and Belarus. In 2021, the company received about 1% of its revenue from these countries. Duolingo still operates as a free program in Russia and Belarus.