War in Ukraine / May 1
More than 20,000 civilians were killed in Mariupol
During the two months of the war, Ukrainian Mariupol turned from a rapidly developing city into ruins. As of today, there is not a single building in the city that has not come under fire. Utility companies and businesses do not work. No access to light, water, gas. Initially, people had the opportunity to drink melt water, but now there is no such opportunity, international organizations are talking about possible infections due to the use of untreated water.
Despite the fact that the war has been going on for three months, and the city is broken, more than 100,000 locals remain in Mariupol. This was announced by Vadym Boychenko, who has been the mayor of the city since 2015. According to him, the Russian occupiers limit the possibility of people leaving for Ukrainian territory, often sending them to Russia. In the beginning, about 200,000 people were deported to Ukraine. Humanitarian borders work, but they are bad and very limited. For example, only 100 civilians were removed from Azovstal, although there are about 1,000 remaining there.
At the same time, according to the mayor, the Russian militants killed more than 20,000 civilians. Similar figures are announced in the Administration of the President of Ukraine – “several tens of thousands.” Civilians died from shelling, under the rubble of buildings, as well as from executions carried out by Russian invaders. People are buried in mass graves by locals – the Russian military is forcing them to do so. The mayor himself makes a comparison: during the occupation of the city by German troops in 1941-1943, 10,000 civilians were killed. Today, Russia has killed 20,000 in two months.
The Russian side does not recognize such large-scale losses among the local population, or points out that the city suffered from shelling by the Armed Forces of Ukraine or the Azov Regiment.
There is a humanitarian crisis in the city right now: there is literally no access to food, drinking water, medicine, and no communication. People live in basements. Where does food come from? The Russians provide a limited amount of food in exchange for public works, including removal of rubble and burying the dead locals.
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- During the shelling of the community territory by Russian troops, one of the shells hit the car. As a result, a woman died, and two more people were injured.
- As a result of shelling by Russian troops in Udy, a school built at the beginning of the 20th century burned down, and a canteen and several nearby houses were also destroyed. Warehouses with products caught fire in Baranіvka. In Odnorobіvka, a gas station of an agricultural enterprise burned down in an area of 1.2k m², and one person was injured.
- As a result of shelling, civilian infrastructure was damaged, two utility buildings with an area of 80 m² and 32 m² were on fire, as well as an office space of a PrivatBank branch on an area of 25 m².
- Shelling by Russian troops of the settlements: Hulyaipole, Orikhiv, Preobrazhenka, Malynivka, Novoselivka, Chervone, Omelnyk, Mala Tokmachka, Novodanylivka, Olhivske, Kamyanske, Zaliznychne, Poltavka, Huliaipilske, Temyrivka and Novoandriivka. As a result of the shelling, 6 fires broke out on the territory of private households in Polohy and Hulyaipole districts. Additionally, 4,135 subscribers in 5 settlements of Polohy district were left without a power supply. As a result of the shelling, the combined house pressure regulators in Orikhiv and Hulyaipole were damaged. In Komyshuvakha, an underground medium-pressure gas distribution pipeline was damaged. 300 consumers were left without a gas supply.
- The Russian army shelled Zolote. A woman died, a man and a 12-year-old child were injured (1, 2).
- Russian troops attacked the territory of the region. As a result of the shelling of settlements on the outskirts of Mykolayiv, private houses and adjacent territories, infrastructure facilities, and private cars were damaged. There was an explosion in an agricultural warehouse 40 km from Mykolayiv: a container with ammonium nitrate with a total weight of ~600 kg was destroyed. During the shelling, prohibited cluster shells were used. During the day, 12 people were injured in the region.
- During the day, the Russian army shelled Mariupol, Lyman, Avdiivka, Vuhledar, Bakhmut, Ocheretyne, Mayaky, Yarova, Pereizne, Volodymyrivka, Raihorodok. 35 civilian objects are destroyed: residential buildings, farming, granary, utility infrastructure. In Lyman, 4 civilians were killed, 7 were injured. 3 more people were wounded in Volodymyrivka and 1 in Yarova (1, 2).
- Russian troops shelled the settlements of Osokorivka, Trudoliubivka, Knyazivka, and Tavriiske. In Osokorivka, private houses and communal property were hit. In Novovorontsovka, due to the shelling, residential buildings and a school were damaged. Residents received shrapnel wounds. A man was taken to the hospital in a critical condition with a fragmental wound to the neck and a fracture of the base of the skull.
- Russian troops striked on the territory of the region. As a result, warehouses of agricultural enterprises and a private house were destroyed: a cow died and 2 tons of hay burned down. A rocket fired by the Russian army from the Tochka-U complex was shot down over the Pokrovske community; a 71-year-old woman was injured by the wreckage.
- [War] The Ministry of Infrastructure has decided to close the seaports of Berdyansk, Mariupol, Skadovsk and Kherson until these territories are liberated from Russian occupation.
- [Other] The head of the Luhansk OVA, Serhiy Gaidai, said that from May 1, consumers in the Lugansk region will be supplied with unodorized gas, without a specific pungent odor.
- [Other] Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin signed a decree on reducing the interest rate under the Preferential Mortgage program from 12 to 9%, as well as extending the program until the end of 2022.
- [Other] From May 1, the Ministry of Digital Development of the Russian Federation is launching an experiment to provide access to open source software owned by Russia.
- [Response to the sanctions] Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a law suspending a number of visa preferences for citizens of most European countries.
- [Other] Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a law ratifying an agreement on the abolition of mandatory registration in the Russian Federation for citizens of Uzbekistan within 15 days from the date of entry and for citizens of the Russian Federation upon arrival in Uzbekistan.
This was the free part of the military brief
Read the full text + all archives in the paid version.
In two weeks, the subscription price will be $50/month, subscribe now for $30. We give half of the money for the humanitarian needs of Ukrainians.
In a paid version:
- Airstrike, missile and MLRS damage
- Civilian casualties
- Video of russian prisoners
- New laws
- Occupant’s casualties (est. from Ukrainian General Staff)
- War crimes in a de-ocupied territories
- Alternative loss estimates
- Data archive.
- Analytical charts: occupant losses, chart with known air raid alerts by region and known damage, diagram of known airstrike, missile and MRL damage and known child deaths, diagram of known damage for Ukrainian infrastructure, diagram of average duration of the air alerts in the regions.