War in Ukraine / May 8
Ukraine wants to join the EU, but now the EU makes no promises
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyi announced that he had sent the second part of the questionnaire to Europe to obtain the status of a candidate for EU membership. The first part was transferred on April 18. Then the first part was filled in just a week. Ukraine itself officially submitted its application to Brussels on February 28, four days after Russia’s attack on Ukraine. And on March 11, the EU summit approved the application.
Filing an application doesn’t really mean anything yet. The President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen said that all the documents had been received, the answer to the questionnaire would be in early June. Here it is important to understand that this is not an answer to Ukraine in the format of join / do not join, but only one of the first stages – feedback on completed questionnaires.
Opinions differ on how quickly Ukraine’s application will be considered and what the process should look like. On the sidelines there is talk of the so-called fast track – expedited consideration of the application. But not even Hungary, which does not support Ukraine and all its activities, or even France, disagree with him, although its leader Macron is trying to prove himself the leader of a democratic Europe by taking the title from Germany. Today it became known that Macron, after 75 days of war, has not changed his mind and believes that Ukraine’s path to the EU may take a long time.
What time can we talk about? The last two examples are Serbia and Iceland. If the first took more than two years, the second – only six months to obtain candidate status. This at least shows that Ukraine has a chance if European countries do not put sticks in the wheels.The team of President Zelenskiy urges not to do so.
First, the selectivity on the example of NATO – Ukraine is not called there because of its closeness to Russia, but at the same time Finland is under an accelerated procedure. Secondly, Ukraine’s active pro-European sentiments and its desire to become part of the European world with European values are considered to be one of the reasons for the Russian attack – a country rolled into authoritarianism, ostentatious democracy and primitivism.
“Ukraine has shown that it is moving somewhere. This posed a threat to Russia, whose society saw – you can live differently. This was one of the reasons for Russia’s attack on Ukraine”, – said Vadym Prystaiko, Ukraine’s ambassador to the United Kingdom.
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- A Russian shell hit a two-story residential building. As a result of the hit, a fire with an area of 50 square meters happened in an apartment on the second floor of the building. A 83 y.o. elderly woman was found dead under the rubble.
- There was shelling from the direction of Kozacha Lopan’, 8 houses were destroyed.
- As a result of shelling by the Russian military, 3 people were injured, and houses were damaged.
- Russian troops shelled several cities in the region: Kamianske, Orikhiv, Novodanylivka, Mala Tokmachka, Novopil, Chervone, Malynivka, Novomykolaivka, Uspenivka, Bilohiria, Hirke, Zaliznychne, Hulaypilske, Hulaypole, Vremivka. Due to the shelling, 87 settlements remain without gas, and 80 settlements remain without electricity. There is no water supply in Hulaypole, Stepnohirs’k and their environs, as well as in part of the town of Polohy.
- As a result of the shelling, the building of the gymnasium was partially destroyed. Residential buildings were also on fire.
- A 61-year-old man died as a result of an explosion on an OZM-72 mine left by Russian troops in a forest line near the village of Zalissya, Brovarsky district.
- The Russian military shelled the village Shypylivka near Bilohorivka. A residential building was destroyed. 11 people are under the rubble, according to preliminary data. Rescuers cannot reach them because of shelling.
- As a result of an airstrike and shelling by the Russian army, 200 kV power lines were cut off, and the power went out first in Lysychansk and then in Severodonetsk. The destruction of the civilian infrastructure is specified. Another shelling of the Lysychansk oil refinery was also recorded. The fire area was 360 sq.m. The sulfur recovery unit and the mixing station caught fire. There is a threat of explosion of neighboring tanks.
- Russian troops launched cruise missiles at the two districts of the region. In the Odessa region, as a result of the shelling of the Fontanska community, infrastructure facilities were damaged. There were interruptions in the supply of gas and electricity. In the Bolhrad district, a residential building was destroyed, and private cars, houses, and infrastructure facilities near the explosion’s epicenter were damaged. The power substation was destroyed. As a result, interruptions in electricity supply to the region’s settlements occurred. One girl was injured.
- The troops of the Russian Federation fired at the border area of the region at a distance of ~ 3 km from the border of the Russian Federation by using MLRS and aircraft. As a result of the shelling, houses in the Hlukhiv community of the district were partially damaged and destroyed. Significant damage was done to the Jewish cemetery.
- During the day, the shelling of Mykolayiv residential areas and the region continued. Residential buildings, shops, and civilian infrastructure were damaged. Presumably, artillery was used.
- During the day, the Russian army shelled 15 settlements in the region: Mariupol, Mykolaivka, Avdiivka, Soledar, Toretsk, Vuhledar, Zalizne, Paraskoviivka, Drobysheve, Mayaky, New-York, Kam’yanka, Pivnichne, Ocheretyne, and Krasnohorivka in Ocheretyne community. 32 civilian objects were damaged: residential buildings, a medical facility, a poultry farm, industrial enterprises, and facilities of viral infrastructure. It is know about 4 dead people: two in Ocheretyne, one in New-York and Vuhledar. 14 people were wounded: 1 in Vuhledar, 2 in New-York, 3 in Lyman, 1 in Sivers’k, 1 in Paraskoviivka, 6 in Bakhmut.
- There was the shelling of the border areas: several mines exploded near one of the villages at a distance of 1.5 km from the border.
- There was shelling of the settlements Vysokopilska hromada. Fires of houses after hits were recorded. Civilian casualties are still to be specified. There was also shelling of the Novovorontsovska community, in particular, Osokorivka village. Due to the shelling, the electricity and water supply networks were damaged.
- [Other] The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine has ensured the provision of emergency social services to the elderly and persons with disabilities. Now this service can be obtained in just one day.
- [Support of the economy] Investment companies implementing projects for the treatment and disposal of municipal waste will be able to count on a preferential interest rate on bank loans, the corresponding decree was signed by Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin.
This was the free part of the military brief
Read the full text + all archives in the paid version.
In two weeks, the subscription price will be $50/month, subscribe now for $30. We give half of the money for the humanitarian needs of Ukrainians.
In a paid version:
- Airstrike, missile and MLRS damage
- Civilian casualties
- Video of russian prisoners
- New laws
- Occupant’s casualties (est. from Ukrainian General Staff)
- War crimes in a de-ocupied territories
- Alternative loss estimates
- Data archive.
- Analytical charts: occupant losses, chart with known air raid alerts by region and known damage, diagram of known airstrike, missile and MRL damage and known child deaths, diagram of known damage for Ukrainian infrastructure, diagram of average duration of the air alerts in the regions.