War in Ukraine / May 9
Russia wants to finally cut off Ukraine from sea ports
Russia’s missile strikes on Ukraine are becoming increasingly clear: the goal is to completely bleed the country in all possible directions. Initially, these were military facilities and airfields, and later military companies. This was followed by oil depots, the destruction of which provoked a fuel crisis. And to deepen transport problems, Russia began shelling railway infrastructure. Today it became known about another important goal.
With the start of the war, Ukraine literally stopped exporting through ports. Blocked ports in Kherson, Berdyansk and Mariupol, controlled by Ukraine in Mykolaiv and Odessa regions are free, but do not work due to the danger of shipping in the Black Sea. This is a big blow for Ukraine – the country loses $ 170 million every day. In total, exports through ports are $ 47 billion annually and 70% of total exports.
There are three ports, small, but there was hope for them – at the mouth of the Danube. They can continue to operate, although their volumes are many times lower than even one port of Odessa. Now Ukraine is in a state where you have no choice. This was understood in Moscow as well. The only way to these ports is through the Dniester estuary. And as of today, Russia has already sent four missiles there, partially destroying the port. The shutdown will affect the amount of grain that Ukraine could export through these ports to support its economy. At the same time, Russia is stealing grain from the occupied Ukrainian territories, loading it through Crimean ports and trying to sell it. Most countries refuse to buy it, so it is expected that it will be sent to Syria, and from there – smuggled to the Middle East.
In Moscow, the reasons for bombing the bridge are not reported. Ukraine, in turn, is trying to restore it quickly and return it to work. The extent of the damage since the last shelling has not been reported.
We will reveal in the next newsletter about another reason why the Dniester estuary could become an important goal for Russia.
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- During the day, 2 fires broke out in the region as a result of shelling – in Kharkiv и Chuhuiv districts. There was a fire on the ring road of the cab of a truck and a workshop of an agricultural enterprise with an area of 200 sq.m burned down on the territory of the Chkalovs’ke community.
- Hulaypilske, Chervone, Malynivka, Zaliznychne, Kamianske, Stepove, Bilohirya, Novodanylivka were shelled by Russian troops. In the Polohy district, four residential buildings, household structures and the house that was out of use caught fire. The overhead power line 35kV was damaged.
- As a result of shelling, 14 houses, an apartment, a summer kitchen, outbuildings, two garages, three college dormitories, the building of the Polybekh LLC enterprise and the plaschool building were damaged. Also, as a result of shelling, a residential building with an area of 56 sq.m caught fire. Low pressure gas pipeline was damaged.
- During inspection of the destruction in Shypylivka, where civilians still remain trapped, the Russians fired on the police. One policeman is wounded.
- Members of an illegal armed group of the so-called LPR fired propaganda shells at Svitlodarsk and village Luhanske.
- 4 “Oniks” type missiles were launched with the missile system ‘Bastion” from AR Crimea by the Russian troops. As a result, infrastructure facilities in the region were damaged.
- Russian troops launched 7 Soviet-style missiles across the city. As a result of the shelling, the building of the Riviera shopping complex and a product warehouse were destroyed. The blast wave and shrapnel damaged residential multi-storey buildings, infrastructure facilities, shops and private cars. 5 people were hospitalized.
- Russian troops shelled the border area in the Khotyn community. The shells fell in a field outside the settlements, ~10 km from the border of the Russian Federation.
- The shelling of the area damaged and partially destroyed private houses, cafes and shops. The number of the dead and wounded is to be specified.
- In a garage with a car and outbuildings of a private house a fire broke out, as a result of shelling. After the fire was extinguished, the body of an 80-year-old man who died from shelling was found. There was a fire on the roof of the granary warehouse at the elevator with a fire area of 20 sq.m.
- Russian troops launched an airstrike at the city center.
- Russuian troops shelled the settlements of Kramators’k, Mykolaivka, Avdiivka, Zalizne, Sivers’k, Mar’inka, Drobysheve, New-York, Lastochkyne, Kalynove. 39 civilian facilities were destroyed: residential buildings, a technical school, life support facilities. 5 people were injured: 3 people in Drobysheve, 1 person in Novomykhailivka and New-York each (1, 2).
- Russian troops launched unguided missiles at Novhorod-Sivers’kyi and Koriukivka districts. As a result, deadwood caught fire.
- Russian troops fired at the Kochubeivka community. An innocent animal was injured. Also, houses and an electrical transformer were damaged, which is why part of the village is currently left without electricity.
- There was a cluster munitions shelling. One of the shells exploded over the reservoir, there is an underwater explosion threat.
- [Support of the economy] Decree of the National Bank of Ukraine No. 95 “On Amendments to the Regulations on Determining by Banks of Ukraine the Amount of Credit Risk on Active Banking Operations”.
- [Other] Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No. 268 dated May 9, 2022 “On Additional Measures to Support the Families of Military Personnel and Employees of Certain Federal State Bodies”, according to which the children of the Russian soldiers who died in the war in Ukraine are allowed to enter universities without entrance exams.
- [Other] Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No. 135-rp dated May 9, 2022 “On Amendments to the Composition of the Commission for the Construction of the Vostochny Cosmodrome”, approved by Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No. 131-rp dated May 26, 2021.
This was the free part of the military brief
Read the full text + all archives in the paid version.
In two weeks, the subscription price will be $50/month, subscribe now for $30. We give half of the money for the humanitarian needs of Ukrainians.
In a paid version:
- Airstrike, missile and MLRS damage
- Civilian casualties
- Video of russian prisoners
- New laws
- Occupant’s casualties (est. from Ukrainian General Staff)
- War crimes in a de-ocupied territories
- Alternative loss estimates
- Data archive.
- Analytical charts: occupant losses, chart with known air raid alerts by region and known damage, diagram of known airstrike, missile and MRL damage and known child deaths, diagram of known damage for Ukrainian infrastructure, diagram of average duration of the air alerts in the regions.