War in Ukraine / May 30
The military threat from Belarus remains
Due to active actions in the east of Ukraine, another important front, the northern one, receded into the background. The situation remains ambiguous.
On the one hand, Russian troops continue to shell the border checkpoints of Chernihiv and Sumy regions, while Iskanders and other complexes capable of striking Ukraine remain on the territory of Belarus. Experts agree that in this way Russia is trying to keep the Ukrainian army scattered, not allowing it to send reserves to the south and east.
On the other hand, the number of Russian troops in Belarus is not enough for a new full-scale offensive. Now fresh forces and equipment are not transferred there. At the same time, the threat remains from Russia’s ally, Belarus. The country has an army of tens of thousands of people who, in theory, can go on the offensive at any time, despite the mood of the local army – the vast majority of Belarusians do not want to fight.
The Ukrainian side believes that a new offensive on Kyiv is now possible only through central Ukraine, and even if Russia is able to show great progress in the east – so far this is not the case. However, such a scenario is still being considered and they are in no hurry to say that Kyiv is safe. The reasons are clear: the Ukrainian authorities did not expect that on February 24 the offensive would be conducted from Belarus. Therefore, no one wants to rule out that the situation will happen again. According to the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Oleksiy Danilov, a few days before the full-scale attack, the Belarusian side assured them that there would be no aggressive actions on their part. Therefore, Ukrainian troops remain on the northern border in case of a new offensive.
Latest war investigations of the Molfar team:
- Drama Theater in Mariupol
- Bombing of the children’s hospital and maternity hospital in Mariupol
- Strike in the center of Donetsk by rocket missile Tochka-U
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- 7 villages in the Zolochiv community were shelled: Udy, Kostiantynivka, Svitlychne, Karasivka, Kalynove, Myronivka, Chornohlazivka. Agricultural equipment, workshops of the enterprise, a residential building, and several households were damaged. In Kalynove, a man came back to the place of his destroyed house to collect the things that could remain intact, at that time shelling began. The man was killed due to shelling.
- Due to the shelling, a fire broke out in the warehouses.
- As a result of the two Kharkiv districts shelling: Kyivsky and Osnovyansky, two schools were destroyed. Three men and a 16-year-old boy were wounded. One more shell exploded in a garage cooperative in Zhukovske village. As a result, 10 garages and four cars burned down. The shelling was carried out with prohibited cluster munitions.
- There was shelling of civilian infrastructure by Russian troops in Posad-Pokrovske, Osokorivka, Novovorontsovka, Blahodatne, Partyzans’ke, also the following settlements were shelled: Oleksandrivka, Prybuz’ke, Novohryhorivka, Knyazivka and Trudoliubivka. Cellular communications of Ukrainian operators disappeared in the region.
- Russian troops launched two cruise missiles on the outskirts of the Pysarivka village of Sumy district. As a result of the shelling, rockets fell in a forest belt, 14 private houses and adjoining buildings near the epicenter of the explosion were damaged by shrapnel and a blast wave.
- Russian troops shelled the Sumy region from the territory of the Russian Federation. 6 shots at the territory of the district from the MLRS, 10 shots from self-propelled guns at the territory of the Bilopillya community, and 2 missile launches at the territory of the Khotyn community were recorded.
- Russian troops from the Black Sea with the help of a Tu-22 aircraft launched X-22 missiles on the territory of the village of Zatoka. As a result of the shelling, one rocket hit the previously destroyed inoperative bridge across the Dniester Estuary, and private houses near the epicenter of the explosion were damaged by the shock wave. The air defense forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down the second missile.
- Malynivka, Olhivske, Zaliznychne, Hulaipilske, Poltavka, Temerivka, Chervone, Mali Shccherbaky, Pavlivka, Kamyanske, Hryhorivka, Preobrazhenka, Novodanylivka, Bilohirya, Novopil were shelled by Russian troops.
There were airstrikes in Mala Tokmachka and Novoandriivka. Hulyaipole and Orichiv were shelled by artillery as a result 1 person was killed, 1 person was wounded. As a result of shelling, the following infrastructure was destroyed:
In Orichiv district – 3280 consumers were left without electricity. In Zaporizhzhya district – 612 consumers were left without electricity. In Tokmak district – 1663 consumers in 13 settlements were left without electricity. In Orichiv, low and medium pressure gas pipelines were damaged, 68 consumers were left without gas.
- In the direction of Severodonetsk, Russian troops carried out assault actions in the areas of the Shchedryshcheve, Borivske, Toshkivka settlements. The fighting continues.
The evacuation from Luhans’k region was officially stopped. Russian troops fired on an evacuation armored vehicle carrying French BFM TV journalist Frédéric Leclerc-Imhoff. The journalist was killed by a shell fragment. His colleague Maxime Brandstaetter was slightly wounded. Frédéric is the eighth journalist killed during the war.
Three people were wounded in Lysychansk, one woman – in Zolote. A total of 10 people were wounded in Severodonetsk during the day. Housing stock was damaged due to shelling: in Severodonetsk – 12 houses, in Lysychansk – 12 houses and a public catering facility, in Hirske – 9 houses and a kindergarten, in Toshkivka – at least 6 houses, in Nyrkove, Viktorivka, Mykolaivka – 6 houses.
- Russian troops shelled the city of Novyi Buh. As a result, commercial and administrative buildings in the city center were damaged, 1 person died, 3 people were injured.
In the Bereznehovatska community, a school building and residential buildings were damaged as a result of shelling.
- In the morning, Russian troops shelled the city. In the afternoon, a missile hit a residential building during the next shelling; there were two young children and their grandparents. The house was destroyed, 10 houses in the neighborhood were damaged. The grandfather was hospitalized with a mine-explosive injury, the children are in a serious psychological state.
- Russian troops launched a missile attack on Avdiivka, as a result, a school and residential buildings were damaged. Tanks, artillery and mortars shelling was carried out on Avdiivka, Bakhmut, Toretsk, Mykolayivka, Slovyansk, New-York, Ocheretyne, Orlivka, Nelipivka, Netaylove, Travneve, Zakotne. Bakhmut was shelled with prohibited cluster munitions.
26 civilian objects were destroyed: houses, two schools, a factory, and critical infrastructure facilities. According to the head of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration, three civilians were killed: two – in Toretsk and one – in Avdiivka. Four people were injured.
- There was shelling of Zelenodolsk and Apostolovo communities. There was no particular damage from the shelling. Although, shells hit agricultural fields, which may be an element of the food war.
This was the free part of the military brief
Read the full text + all archives in the paid version.
In two weeks, the subscription price will be $50/month, subscribe now for $30. We give half of the money for the humanitarian needs of Ukrainians.
In a paid version:
- Civilian casualties
- Occupant’s casualties (est. from Ukrainian General Staff)
- War crimes in a de-ocupied territories
- Alternative loss estimates
- Data archive.
- Analytical charts: occupant losses, chart with known air raid alerts by region, known child deaths, diagram of known damage for Ukrainian infrastructure.