War in Ukraine / June 3-5
Ukraine is facing a shortage of everything
While the war in Ukraine continues, the population is facing a large number of problems, including “non-military problems.” And the main of them is the shortage of goods:
- Fuel. Before the war, the main suppliers of gasoline and diesel fuel were Russia and Belarus, some of which came from the sea. Now all fuel comes only from Europe, at higher prices and in insufficient quantities: there have been constant queues at gas stations for more than a month. It is unclear when the situation will change and whether it will change at all. Ukraine lacks its capacity, in addition, the Kremenchug refinery is destroyed.
- Products. This year, the area under crops has been reduced by 20%, and those lands to which access is available are not being cultivated as efficiently. Kherson region under occupation. Salt companies stop their work. So far there are no significant problems, but from time to time some products disappear from the shelves. The authorities assure that Ukraine will have enough food for its own needs under any circumstances.
- Supplies of household appliances are also under threat. Logistics chains are broken, the hryvnia exchange rate is unstable, insurance is half-done. As a result, according to the largest retail chains, at some point the usual equipment may disappear from the shelves. And this is when it is most needed: the homes of thousands of people have been destroyed, they need to start all over again, including buying a washing machine or a kettle in a new / renovated home.
- Problems can arise even with a shortage of clothing: almost all international networks, including the largest Inditex Group (Zara) and H&M, have stopped working in Ukraine: their stores are still closed. It is unclear whether local producers will have enough capacity.
At the same time, prices in Ukraine continue to rise due to rising fuel prices, more difficult delivery and falling hryvnia. The key NBU rate has already risen to 25%.
A protracted war is a great challenge for the Ukrainian economy. Unlike Russia: it also has its problems, but at the same time – huge foreign exchange earnings from the sale of natural resources. There is no such “flow” in Ukraine, so it is heavily dependent on international aid and donors: its economy needs at least $5 billion a month. And one of Putin’s strategies, it seems, is to destroy the country’s entire economic potential: dozens of major factories are already destroyed or damaged.
Latest investigations of the Molfar team:
- Psychological portrait of a russian people
- What’s wrong with the International Committee of the Red Cross?
- Anonymous tipsters, angry at russia, help detect sanctions-busters
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- Two missiles hit the Bezliudivka settlement area, explosions were heard in Merefa. As a result, a fire broke out.
- A warehouse with wood was on fire in the Osnovianskyi district because of the Russian shelling.
- A 1989-year missile hit the therapeutic department of the hospital. As a result, the department was destroyed and the adjacent dental office was damaged, as well as neighboring buildings.
- Due to shelling by Russian troops, 2 fires broke out in residential area of the city, 2 houses were damaged. Another shel hit the territory of one of the local enterprises and destroyed a garage of 300 sq.m. Rescuers pulled out 2 wounded people and 1 killed person from under the rubble. There were also 6 people who were injured during the shelling.
- Due to the shelling, a fire broke out on the territory of a private house and outbuildings. 1 person was injured.
- Due to careless behavior with an exploding shell, a 54-year-old man was killed, another one was injured in the Novobavarsky district. Due to the shelling, 10 people were injured, including an 11-year-old child during the day.
- 3 people were killed in a mine explosion on the beach.
- The border area in the direction of the Kam’yans’ka Sloboda village in Novhorod-Sivers’kyi district was shelled by Russian troops from the territory of the Russian Federation. The shelling was carried out from 152mm artillery and 120mm mortars. About 40 explosions were recorded.
- Tavriyske, Nova Zorya, Novomykolaivka were shelled by Russian troops.
- In the village of Hoholiv Brovary district, when the trunk of a car was opened by the owner, an explosive device detonated. The 32-year-old owner of the car died from his injuries. The car was stolen during the first days of the war by Russian soldiers, who mined it and left it in the neighboring village of Ploske during the retreat.
- The troops of the Russian Federation with the help of a strategic aviation aircraft launched a cruise missile of the X-59 type on the territory of the Odesa region. As a result of the shelling, the missile hit the warehouse of an agricultural enterprise, and a fire broke out. Cars and agricultural machinery were destroyed. Two people were injured.
- Border areas of Shostka district were shelled by the russian troops from the Russian Federation territory. At 9:15, 8 explosions were recorded on the outskirts of the village of Starykove. At 10:05 am, 5 explosions were recorded on the outskirts of the Shalyhyne village. Supposedly, the shelling was carried out from mortars.
- Russian troops with the help of a strategic aviation aircraft launched missiles on the border areas of the Sumy district from the territory of the Russian Federation. As a result of the shelling, 2 explosions on the outskirts of the villages of Pishchane and Stets’kivka were recorded. A non-residential building was partially destroyed, and private houses were damaged by a blast wave and shrapnel near the epicenter of the explosion.
- Malynivka, Ztyshshya, Mala Tokmachka, Poltavka, Olhivske, Zeleniy Hai, Huliaipilske, Chervone, Orichiv, Kamyanske, Mali Shcherbaky, Charivne were shelled by russian troops.
Preobrazhenka and Uspenivka were shelled from artillery, civilian infrastructure was damaged. Underground medium-pressure gas pipeline was damaged as a result of Polohy shelling.
- Damages of 6 houses were recorded.
- Kamyanske, Orichiv, Malynivka, Olhivske, Zelene pole, Temyrivka, Uspenivka, Novodanylivka, Zliznychne, Yurkivka, Mala Tokmachka, Bilohirya were shelled by russian troops.
As a result of shelling, low-pressure gas pipelines in Polohy and Orichiv were damaged, 4 settlements in Vasylivka district were also de-energized.
Orichiv civilian infrastructure was shelled using MRLs.
- During the day in Severodonetsk and Lysychansk at least 12 houses were damaged. In Hirske – 8 houses, in Novoivanivka – 7 houses, in Vrubivka – 6 houses. There were damages of infrastructure in Metolkine.
- 30 shells hit the humanitarian headquarters building. A Tochka-U missile was launched on the city. 5 houses, the post office and a police office were destroyed. 2 people were injured.
- During the day, the Russian army shelled Mykolaivske, Kavkaz, Ukrainka and Pryshyb villages, as well as the city of Mykolayiv. Houses, cars, garages were damaged.
In Pryshyb village, Bashtanka district, a fire broke out in a residential building as a result of a munition hit. The hit of shells also led to a fire on the territory of the Balabanovskiy forest tract.
In Mykolayiv, two trailers caught fire.
During the day, 9 people were injured from shelling in the region.
- The Russian army shelled the Shyroke community day and night. The shelling of the Bereznehuvate community also continued. Information about casualties is being specified.
- In the morning, the Russians shelled the Korabelnyi district of the city. Three multi-storey buildings and cars were damaged. Three civilians were killed, four people were injured.
In the evening, the Russian army fired at the Nika-Tera port. The shell hit the room in which the sunflower meal was located. The fire area was 10k sq. meters.
- Russian troops shelled Avdiivka, Kramatorsk, Kostyantynivka, Soledar, Mar’inka, Vasylivka, New-York, Mayaky, Sokil, Keramik, Novomykhailivka. 14 civilian infrastructure facilities were destroyed, including residential buildings and critical infrastructure.
According to the head of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration, two civilians were injured in Soledar and one – in Vasylivka.
- Russian troops shelled Bakhmut, Avdiivka, Kostyantynivka, Soledar, Kramatorsk, Druzhkivka, Novoselivka 1, Pervomaiske, Hostre, Netailove, Khrestyshche, Vremivka.
14 civilian facilities were destroyed: seven private houses, two multi-storey buildings, a utility company, a children’s camp, and a factory.
According to the head of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration, four civilians died in Vesele, each one – in Adamivka and Khrestyshche. Nine people were injured.
- There was shelling of several villages in the Apostolove and Zelenodolsk communities. Due to shelling and thunderstorms, 10 settlements were left without electricity.
This was the free part of the military brief
Read the full text + all archives in the paid version.
In two weeks, the subscription price will be $50/month, subscribe now for $30. We give half of the money for the humanitarian needs of Ukrainians.
In a paid version:
- Civilian casualties
- Occupant’s casualties (est. from Ukrainian General Staff)
- War crimes in a de-ocupied territories
- Alternative loss estimates
- Data archive.
- Analytical charts: occupant losses, chart with known air raid alerts by region, known child deaths, diagram of known damage for Ukrainian infrastructure.