War in Ukraine / June 23
Ukraine retreats from Severodonetsk
U.S. and British intelligence, as well as the Institute for the Study of War, indicate that Russian troops will occupy Severodonetsk by the end of this week. The battle for the last big city of Luhansk region lasted more than a month. Officially, Ukraine does not comment on the actions of its army, citing the military secrecy of the operation. At the same time, journalists working there have already confirmed the retreat of the Ukrainian army.
This is a very predictable scenario. Gradually, but the Russian army occupied area after area, heavily shelling Ukrainian positions. In addition, bridges were blown up, making it very difficult to supply Ukrainian troops with heavy equipment. Last week, the Ukrainian army was mainly stationed in the industrial zone and controlled less than 20% of the city. The retreat is an opportunity to save the lives of the Ukrainian military. According to information from open sources, which requires additional verification, the retreat was without losses for the Ukrainian army.
At the same time, it is not about retreating from Lysychansk. This is an important point for Ukraine: Lysychansk is located on the other bank of the river that separates it from Severodonetsk. And this coast is higher, which gives Ukraine better strategic opportunities for both defense and counteroffensive. At the same time, the intelligence of other countries is not sure that Ukraine will be able to keep Lysychansk, as it is bypassed from the north and south, in case of encirclement, Ukraine will lose several thousand soldiers.
Right now, the eastern direction is the most difficult, with Russia concentrating powerful artillery and a large number of troops there. The small front overcame supply problems. In the case of positive achievements, Russia may launch active offensives in other areas.
For Ukraine, defending one city for a month is a clear goal: it gave the opportunity to gain time and get additional weapons from the allies.
Latest investigations of the Molfar team:
- The modern cannons that may make the difference in Ukraine
- Judicial reform in Ukraine: analysis of the main principles and problems of reform
- Investigation into the relationship between ISPsystem, 1inch, FSS of the russian federation and crypto-businessmens
- StopFraud: an investigation into porn, gambling and russia
- Psychological portrait of a russian people
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- A missile attack was carried out on Derhachi by russian troops at night. As a result of the strike, an office building and an infrastructure facility were partially destroyed, and there was also lack of electricity in part of the city.
- Chuhuiv was shelled by the russian army from artillery. Private households were damaged, due to shelling a fire broke out and 6 people were injured, including 2 children.
- Pechenihy was shelled by Russian troops from artillery in the morning. As a result of the shelling, several residential buildings were destroyed, 7 people were injured, including two children. In the afternoon there was a repeated shelling, than damaged infrastructure.
- Russian forces shelled the border area of Yunakivka community in Sumy district with MLRS Grad from the Russian territory. The 9M22S phosphorus munitions were used. 30 missiles were fired, 25 exploded in the air over the community, 5 more exploded on the outskirts. The shelling damaged civilian infrastructure. A 13 y.o. Child got a heat burn from phosphorus.
- As a result of shelling by Russian troops, about 20 houses and a low-pressure gas distribution pipeline were damaged. One person was injured a dog was killed.
- Russian troops are shelling all the remaining settlements under the control of Ukrainian troops. All available types of weapons are used. The largest number of attacks were on Severodonetsk (the territory of the Azot plant, a brick factory and adjacent areas), Lysychansk (massive destruction of residential buildings and housing and communal services), Vovcheiarivka, Bila Hora. Synetskyi, Pavlohrad, Myrna Dolyna, Borivske were also shelled. The use of aviation in the Lysychansk and Borivske areas was recorded. At least 2 people were killed and 1 was injured.
- Russian forces shelled the border areas in the Novhorod-Siverskyi district from the Russian territory:
from ~17:15 to 17:25 there were four mortar shell explosions in the town of Hrem’yach, presumably fired from a 80-mm mortar, as well as 40 shots from an automatic grenade launcher, hitting the village outskirts;
at 17:28 there were 20 shell explosions, presumably fired from a 120-mm mortar in the village of Buchky.
- The Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down 2 missiles launched by russian troops.
- Civilian infrastructure of Trudolubivka, Dobrianka, Knyazivka was shelled by Russian troops from cannon artillery and MRLs
- Russian forces shelled Bashtanka district:
Due to the shelling four residential buildings and outbuildings were damaged in the village of Bereznehuvate;
in Shyroke community the shelling destroyed agricultural warehouses.
- Russian troops shelled Kutsurub community in Ochakiv district.
- Russian troops shelled the territory of the Novomykolaivka village in Pervomais’k community at night. As a result of the shelling, windows and roofs of private houses, agricultural machinery were damaged. In the morning, the territory of the Halytsynove community was also shelled.
- The Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down 1 missile launched by russian troops over Pokrovsk.
- During the night, there were 6 shellings with cluster munitions. 2 people were injured. Houses and power lines were damaged. As of morning on June 23, 30 cluster munitions were found at the site of the shelling. Two more people were wounded after picking up cluster munitions.
This was the free part of the military brief
Read the full text + all archives in the paid version.
In two weeks, the subscription price will be $50/month, subscribe now for $30. We give half of the money for the humanitarian needs of Ukrainians.
In a paid version:
- Civilian casualties
- Occupant’s casualties (est. from Ukrainian General Staff)
- War crimes in a de-ocupied territories
- Alternative loss estimates
- Data archive.
- Analytical charts: occupant losses, chart with known air raid alerts by region, known child deaths, diagram of known damage for Ukrainian infrastructure.