Finnish Sisu Game Ventures сo-leads €4.7M round for Unagi, French Web3 games developer
The Paris-based blockchain gaming studio Unagi has received €4.7 from early-stage VC Sisu Game Ventures with participation from other investors. This is Unagi’s fourth round of funding, and it will spend for further development and staff expansion, Tech.eu reports.
- Founded in 2021 by Remi Pellerin and Charlie Guillemot Unagi builds a sports platform based on NFTs. Users are able to collect NFTs of their favorite real-world athletes and use them to play fantasy sports on the platform.
- About 200,000 users have logged on its football game, and Unagi has licenses with 47 leading soccer teams spread around Europe, including in France, Germany, the UK, and Romania. Now the company is preparing to launch a basketball variant of its game, opening up further growth opportunities.
- The fresh round was led by Helsinki-based Sisu Game Ventures, with the participation of Sfermion, UOB Ventures, Signum Capital, 2B Ventures, and Machame.
- Sisu is an early-stage venture capital fund focused 100% on games. It was set up in 2014 by Paul Bragiel, Moaffak Ahmed, Samuli Syvähuoko and targets the Nordic region, but the portfolio and network of founders are fully global. Over the past three decades, the Sisu Game’s members have built 16 game companies and invested in over 60 game startups.
- Unagi will spend the investment on R&D and team hires, adding some 10–15 employees to its 30-person headcount. To date, it has received a $4 million CHAMP token sale with Binance in 2022 November.