Slovenian biotech GenePlanet receives €20M in Series B led by BlackPeak Capital
Ljubljana-based GenePlanet, a biotech company specializing in genetic testing solutions, has received €20 million from Bulgarian firm BlackPeak Capital and other investors. It will enable to develop new products and invest in big data infrastructure, BlackPeak Capital informed AIN.Capital.
- Founded in 2008, GenePlanet provides a preventive genetic tests, specializing in NIPT, cancer screening, and lifestyle DNA tests. In addition, the company offers lifestyle tests that provide information about an individual genetic predisposition to various conditions, including cancer and heart disease.
- Since launching, GenePlanet collaborates with over 1000 medical centers, doctors, and insurance companies. GenePlanet operates in more than 35 countries and has over 100,000 customers.
- The investment was led by Bulgarian equity fund BlackPeak Capital that targets growth equity investments of €5-15 million in fast-growing SMEs in Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Croatia, and Serbia. In January 2023, it was participated in acquisition of Pick & Pack, a Croatian logistics startup.
- In addition, Niklas Pichler, a Managing Partner of BlackPeak will join the board of GenePlanet:
“Preventive health care and personalized medicine will play an increasingly important role in our lives in the near future. We are excited to partner with GenePlanet, a company at the forefront of innovation in genetic testing,”Niklas added.
- German Darwin AG, Slovenian Kolektor and FMR also joined the round.
- The investment will enable GenePlanet to expand its product portfolio, make targeted add-on acquisitions in medical DNA testing, invest in big data infrastructure, and support its global expansion plans. GenePlanet also plans to develop an advanced AI system for large-scale language models.